Ayurveda in Pregnancy
Ayurveda describes the general management of pregnancy under Garbhini Vyakaran. Ayurveda discusses the diseases in pregnancy and their treatment and so on. Rules concerning diet, activities, behavior and mental activity (ahar, vihar, achar and vichar respectively) are also laid down. Special care is taken during the time of pregnancy.
From the moment the pregnancy is confirmed, the woman is advised to follow certain rules and guidelines. Delivery is not complete unless the placenta is delivered. If the delivery is not normal, says this ancient science; the woman is likely to be affected by one or the other of a list of 64 ailments, which are described in detail in Garbhini Vyakaran.
According to Ayurveda there are four stages of labour
- Prajayini (First Stage)
- Upasthita Prasava (Second Stage)
- Prajayi Syamana (Third Stage)
- Apara Patana (Fourth Stage)
The development of the foetus in the uterus is described under Garbhavakranti, and special regimens are prescribed for each month under Garbhini Paricharya. The general rule is to take greater care during the first three months of pregnancy and after the completion of the seventh month. Any disease occurring in a pregnant woman should be treated with drugs that are mild in action, compatible and safe to the foetus. Panchakarma (detoxifying procedures) should not be advocated, except basti (enema) and pichu (tampon) in the eighth and ninth months of pregnancy.
Ayurveda also describes certain diseases, which are caused because of the pregnant status of the woman. These diseases are peculiar to pregnancy and are called garbhopadravas. They are: nausea, anorexia, vomiting, fever, oedema, anaemia, diarrhoea and retention of urine. Each of the diseases has their specific treatments mentioned elaborately in Ayurveda.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, cigarette smoke, drugs, and sugar during pregnancy.
- Alfalfa, dandelion, and kelp are a good source of iron and iodine.
- Take extra vitamin E during pregnancy to heal reproductive organs.
- Drink red raspberry tea to improve and maintain the health of the reproductive system during pregnancy.
- Take cod liver oil, iodine, and iron as a preventative measure against birth defects and morning sickness.
Vomiting in Pregnancy
- Soak three or four powdered cloves in some water for 30 minutes. Strain and drink when nausea comes on.
- Cut a slice of ginger. Chew it for some time. You can use black salt to impart a salty taste to the ginger.